Important infos for hikers in the summer holidays in Saalbach Hinterglemm
All you need to know for hiking
Hiking is a sensational family activity on a summer vacation. Especially if you are lucky and spend your holidays in the "Home of Lässig" Saalbach Hinterglemm. A lot of great and top-maintained hiking trails traverse the valley and bring you closer to the mountains. If you take the mountain railway towards the mountain at the start, you will save a lot of altitude and can enjoy your hike even more.
Summer cable cars Saalbach Hinterglemm
Saalachtaler Höhenweg, Pinzgauer Spaziergang or Saalbach Hiking Challenge - most hikes are more fun when you start them at just 2,000 m above sea level. The most beautiful mountain trails start on Schattberg, Zwölferkogel or Reiterkogel - you simply pull out our Joker Card and start your hikes "ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN".
Guided hiking tours
If you would like to experience the most beautiful and best hiking trails first hand, you should take part in a guided hiking tour. Well-trained and experienced hiking- and mountain-guides set the direction, you just have to follow in their footsteps and won't miss any great view and no "secret spot" in the hiking paradise Saalbach Hinterglemm. Guided hikes are offered several times a week - join us!
It depends on the equipment
Hikes, hiking trails and tours are different all over the Home of Lässig, as is hiking in general. Depending on the intensity, difficulty, distance and altitude you should adjust your equipment to the conditions. In general: low sneakers are taboo, sturdy shoes are highly recommended in the mountains around Saalbach Hinterglemm. Warm weatherproof clothing is also a prerequisite - the weather in the mountains can change at any time. Here are a few TIPS for the best equipment on tour:
Always with you in the mountains:
- Weatherproof clothing - in case of weather deterioration
- Warm, long clothes to change - if it cools down
- Hood and gloves - especially in spring and autumn
- Sturdy footwear with a grippy sole - it depends on the liability
- Sunglasses, headgear, sunscreen for the skin
- Sufficient food and especially to drink
- Maps and tour Info - knowledge is power in the mountains
- Ev. hiking poles for long downhill passages
- Mobile phone and emergency numbers of the region
- What else do you remember?
Care for nature
Nature is beautiful, especially in the mountains, that's what it should be! Please take all waste (cans, bottles, pieces of paper, etc.) back to the valley and dispose of it at the designated places. Many alpine flowers are protected, do you know that the picking of protected flowers is forbidden and can be punished with any fines? Also you should pay attention to that!
Don't play with "alm animals"
More and more people nowadays hear about cow attacks or attacks of alpine animals on people. One thing is very important to note: the animals are rarely the problem! You have to know: If cubs are involved, the mother animals have a strong protector instinct. THAT'S WHY: Even if the calves look so sweet, keep your distance and respect their freedom, especially when hiking with dogs!
Let us summarise - TOP 10 TIPS for hiking:
- Take the cable car to the start of the hike
- Guides hiking tours are more fun
- It depends on the right equipment
- Always pay attention to nature, it should stay as beautiful as it is
- Beware of mushroom picking and flower picking
- Never try to play with alm animals - especially for dogs
- Always keep an eye on the weather
- Adapt the equipment to the tour
- Despite top equipment: surefootedness and no fear of heights
- Enjoy the mountains - every minute in nature is precious!